INdAM (Istituto Nazionale di Alta Matematica), MSRI (Mathematical Science Research Institute), SMI (Scuola Matematica Interuniversitaria), in cooperation with the GSSI (Gran Sasso Science Institute), organize a a summer graduate school on “Nonlinear dispersive PDE, quantum many particle systems and the world between” in Cortona during the summer of 2017.
The purpose of the summer school is to introduce graduate students to the recent developments in the area of dispersive partial differential equations (PDE), which have received a great deal of attention from mathematicians, in part due to ubiquitous applications to nonlinear optics, water wave theory and plasma physics.
Recently remarkable progress has been made in understanding existence and uniqueness of solutions to nonlinear Schrodinger (NLS) and KdV equations, and properties of those solutions. We will outline the basic tools that were developed to address these questions. Also we will present some of recent results on derivation of NLS equations from quantum many particle systems and will discuss how methods developed to study the NLS can be relevant in the context of the derivation of this nonlinear equation.
- Nataša Pavlović University of Texas
- Nikolaos Tsirakis University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Paolo Antonelli Gran Sasso Science Institute
- Pierangelo Marcati Gran Sasso Science Institute
- Giorgio Patrizio presidente INdAM
- Gigliola Staffilani Massachusets Institute of Technology
INFORMATION FOR PARTICIPANTS
- Participation: by invitation only. In order to be invited one should apply by filling the application form.
- The deadline for application is May 15, 2017.
- Participants are expected to have had courses in graduate analysis, while a course in graduate-level partial differential equations is recommended.
- Invited participants will be granted full support for accomodation and board in Cortona.
- Travel information (available soon).
- American applicants which are interested in participating should refer to the MSRI summer school website.
For more information, please visit www.gssi.it/summer-graduate-school/.